Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Duck Eggs Anyone?

We have a Mallard nest in the backyard, so I guess it is official, Sable is a spoiled indoor housepet and definitely not a hunter.

While working in the yard this afternoon, Sable got a little too close the area where a mama duck was hanging out and she flew off. Sable trots over to investigate the nest, which until that moment I was unaware of, and I think "Oh no, not a nest! Sable is going to be all over the eggs.". But no, our intrepid huntress sniffs the eggs and then runs away to get a toy. That's our girl, ever ready for playtime but lets a Mallard build a nest in her territory.

I'm all for protecting wildlife and ducklings are adorable but I would prefer them in someone else's yard. Since Sable seems to be disinterested in the eggs, I guess they are safe. I don't know what will happen when the eggs start to hatch, which according to internet sites is anywhere from 23-30 days. I will have to start posting Duck Bulletins on my blog to everyone up-to-date.

I carefully checked the area and took a couple of pictures and a count, there are eight large eggs in the nest, well disguised among the plants and leaves, clever Mother Nature!


2 comments:

COOKIE_LADY1170 said...

Sable is such a good girl!!!

LisaR said...

OMG!!! That is crazy. I wish you could re-locate the nest but with that many eggs it would tough. Jen said she would like to adopt a duckling when they hatch. NOT!! :)